How to Create a Python PackageSee Python: Tips and Tricks for similar articles.
Python packages are very easy to create, but not so easy to design. A Python package is just a group of files (and possibly subfolders) stored in a directory that includes a file named __init__.py.
To create a package in Python:
- Create a new folder.
- Add a __init__.py file to the folder. It does not need to contain any code. For example, the __init__.py file within Lib/idlelib (the package for the IDLE editor) looks like this:
# Dummy file to make this a package.
- You can include code in the __init__.py file that will initialize the package.
- You can also (but do not have to) set a global
__all__variable, which should contain a list of files to be imported when a file imports your package using
If you do not set the
from package_name import *
__all__variable, then that form of import will not be allowed, which may be just fine.
As you see, the steps involved in creating modules and packages for import is relatively straightforward. However, designing useful and easy-to-use modules and packages takes a lot of planning and thought.
- Scientific Notation in Python
- Understanding Python’s __main__ variable
- Associate Python Files with IDLE
- Python: isdigit() vs. isdecimal()
- Python Color Constants Module
- Python: pow(x, y, z) less efficient than x**y % z
- A Python Model for Ping Pong Matches
- Bulk Convert Python files to IPython Notebook Files (py to ipynb conversion)
- Collatz Conjecture in Python
- Finally, a use case for finally – Python Exception Handling
- Python Clocks Explained
- Python’s date.strftime() slower than str(), split, unpack, and concatenate?
- Bi-directional Dictionary in Python
- Maximum recursion depth exceeded while calling a Python object
- Basic Python Programming Exercise: A Penny Doubled Every Day
- Creating an Email Decorator with Python and AWS
- How to Create a Simple Simulation in Python – Numeric Data
- Python Coding Challenge: Two People with the Same Birthday
- How to find all your Python installations on Windows
- Change Default autosave Interval in JupyterLab
- Interactive Quiz using IPython Notebook
- When to use Static Methods in Python? Never
- Converting Leading Tabs to Spaces with Python
- Simple Python Script for Extracting Text from an SRT File
- Python Virtual Environments with venv
- Mapping python to Python 3 on Your Mac
- How to Make IDLE the Default Editor for Python Files on Windows
- How to Do Ternary Operator Assignment in Python
- How to Convert Seconds to Years with Python
- How to Create a Python Package (this article)
- How to Read a File with Python
- How to Check the Operating System with Python
- How to Use enumerate() to Print a Numbered List in Python
- How to Repeatedly Append to a String in Python
- Checking your Sitemap for Broken Links with Python
- How to do Simultaneous Assignment in Python
- Visual Studio Code - Opening Files with Python open()
- How to Slice Strings in Python
- How Python Finds Imported Modules
- How to Merge Dictionaries in Python
- How to Index Strings in Python
- How to Create a Tuple in Python