Mapping python to Python 3 on Your MacSee Python: Tips and Tricks for similar articles.
When you install Python 3 on a Mac, it does not update the python command to use Python 3 instead of Python 2. Instead, to run Python 3, you have to use the python3 command. Here is how you how to fix this.
First, check your Python version:
Nats-MBP:~ natdunn$ python -V Python 2.7.15
We want that to say python 3. something.
What shell are you using?
First, determine what shell you are using.
Open Terminal and look at the last character of the prompt. If it’s a dollar sign (
$), you’re most likely using bash. If it’s a percentage sign (
%), you’re most likely using zsh. You can confirm by running:
Update your profile
First, change into your Home directory:
Depending on which shell you are using, enter one of the following:
nano .bash_profile nano .zshrc
This will open the nano editor. If it has content already, scroll to the bottom using your down arrow key.
Add the following line:
Make sure to save (write out) by pressing Ctrl+O then Enter. Then press Ctrl+X and Enter to exit nano.
python -V to see check the version:
Nats-MBP:~ natdunn$ python -V Python 3.9.5
You’re good to go.
- Fixing WebVTT Times with Python
- Using Python to Convert Images to WEBP
- Scientific Notation in Python
- Understanding Python’s __main__ variable
- Converting Leading Tabs to Spaces with Python
- pow(x, y, z) more efficient than x**y % z and other options
- A Python Model for Ping Pong Matches
- Bulk Convert Python files to IPython Notebook Files (py to ipynb conversion)
- Python’s date.strftime() slower than str(), split, unpack, and concatenate?
- Basic Python Programming Exercise: A Penny Doubled Every Day
- Bi-directional Dictionary in Python
- How to find all your Python installations on Windows (and Mac)
- Associate Python Files with IDLE
- Change Default autosave Interval in JupyterLab
- Python: isdigit() vs. isdecimal()
- Python Clocks Explained
- Python Color Constants Module
- Maximum recursion depth exceeded while calling a Python object
- When to use Static Methods in Python? Never
- Finally, a use case for finally – Python Exception Handling
- Creating an Email Decorator with Python and AWS
- Python Coding Challenge: Two People with the Same Birthday
- How to Create a Simple Simulation in Python – Numeric Data
- Collatz Conjecture in Python
- Simple Python Script for Extracting Text from an SRT File
- Python Virtual Environments with venv
- Mapping python to Python 3 on Your Mac (this article)
- How to Make IDLE the Default Editor for Python Files on Windows
- How to Do Ternary Operator Assignment in Python
- How to Convert Seconds to Years with Python
- How to Create a Python Package
- How to Read a File with Python
- How to Check the Operating System with Python
- How to Use enumerate() to Print a Numbered List in Python
- How to Repeatedly Append to a String in Python
- Checking your Sitemap for Broken Links with Python
- How to do Simultaneous Assignment in Python
- Visual Studio Code - Opening Files with Python open()
- How to Slice Strings in Python
- How Python Finds Imported Modules
- How to Merge Dictionaries in Python
- How to Index Strings in Python
- How to Create a Tuple in Python