Advanced Django Training
This is a direct continuation of our Introduction to Django course. You must either have taken that course or worked through all the lessons and exercises in our Actionable Django book through Lesson 11: User Registration.
In this advanced Django course, you will learn to work with the messages framework, allow users to upload files, make advanced queries, create view functions, work with Ajax, implement pagination and ordering, implement search, deploy your Django website to production, and customize Django admin.
- Learn to add feedback messages to let users know about changes.
- Learn to allow users to securely upload files to your server.
- Learn to keep user-uploaded files private.
- Learn to use Amazon Simple Storage Service (Amazon S3) to manage files.
- Learn how to make queries against the database using Django.
- Learn to add custom properties to models.
- Learn to use Ajax to securely make changes to the database without refreshing the page.
- Learn to create constraints to control the data entered into the database.
- Learn to load data with fixtures.
- Learn to add pagination to Django templates.
- Learn to find optimization opportunities the Django Debug Toolbar.
- Learn to speed up your queries by prefetching data.
- Learn to deploy your Django website to Heroku.
- Learn to customize Django admin for staff users.
Public expert-led online training from the convenience of your home, office or anywhere with an internet connection. Guaranteed to run .
Private classes are delivered for groups at your offices or a location of your choice.
- Messages Framework
- Message Framework
- Exercise: Adding Messages
- Exercise: Using SuccessMessageMixin
- Exercise: Adding Success Messages to the Joke Views
- Exercise: Adding a Success Message to JokeDeleteView
- Media Files
- Media File Basics
- Exercise: Adding Media Settings
- Exercise: Uploading a Resume
- Exercise: Checking File Type
- Exercise: Keeping Resume Files Private
- Exercise: Adding an ImageField to the Model
- Exercise: Displaying the Avatar
- Amazon Simple Storage Service (Amazon S3)
- Exercise: Setting Up Amazon S3
- Exercise: Static Settings in Development
- Making Queries, Ajax, and View Functions
- Useful Prerequisites
- Managers and QuerySets
- Indexing and Slicing QuerySets
- Checking for Existence
- Creating, Updating, and Saving Model Instances
- QuerySet Methods that Don't Return QuerySets
- One-to-Many Relationships
- Many-to-Many Relationships
- Spanning Relationships
- Joke Voting
- Exercise: Adding a JokeVote Model
- Exercise: Registering the JokeVote Model
- Exercise: Adding Properties to the Joke Model
- Exercise: Rating Jokes Using Ajax
- Exercise: Adding a vote() View Function
- Exercise: Updating the URLConf
- Exercise: Updating the Templates
- Model Constraints
- Pagination and Ordering
- Exercise: Loading Data from a Fixture
- Exercise: Pagination
- Exercise: Ordering
- Advanced Querying and Search
- Field Lookups
- Q Objects
- Exercise: Filtering Results by Category, Tag, or Creator
- Exercise: Implementing Search
- Exercise: Getting Joke Ratings
- Code Optimization
- Exercise: Installing and Using the Django Debug Toolbar
- Brief Introduction to Annotation
- Viewing SQL Used in QuerySets
- Deploying your Website to Production
- Where to Host Your Django Site
- Exercise: Deploying to Heroku
- Customizing Django Admin
- Django Admin Views
- Exercise: Customizing Titles and Headers
- ModelAdmin Attributes that Affect the List View
- Exercise: Creating a Custom ModelAdmin Base Class
- Exercise: Customizing the Django Admin List View
- Lists vs. Tuples
- ModelAdmin Attributes that Affect Forms
- Exercise: Customizing Django Admin Form Views
- Customizing Fieldsets
- Exercise: Modifying the CustomUserAdmin Class
- Adding Calculated Read-only Fields
- Exercise: Adding a Link to the Change Password Form
- Exercise: Unregistering Models
- Exercise: Django Admin Groups and Permissions
- Additional Topics
- Additional Learning
- Additional Projects
Each student will receive a comprehensive set of materials, including course notes and all the class examples.
Experience in the following is required for this Django class:
- Basic Django as taught in our Introduction to Django course
Experience in the following would be useful for this Django class:
Courses that can help you meet these prerequisites:
Register for a Live Class
Request a Private Class
- Private Class for your Team
- Online or On-location
- Expert Instructors