How to Install and Use Visual Studio Code for Class
Visual Studio Code is an excellent IDE to use when learning to develop web sites. It provides a nice balance of power and simplicity and it is available on Windows and Mac.
Follow these instructions to set up Visual Studio Code for your course.
- Download Visual Studio Code for your operating system.
- Install Visual Studio Code.
- Open Visual Studio Code.
- On the Welcome Screen, under Start, click the Open Folder... link.
- Navigate to the folder in which you installed your Webucator class files and open the folder:
- You will see the class files listed in Visual Studio Code's Explorer:
- To open a file for editing, navigate to the file and double click it. It will open in a tab and appear under OPEN EDITORS. The tab will remain open until you explicitly close it.
- To quickly view a file, just single click it. It will open in a tab and appear under OPEN EDITORS in italics and will only stay there until you view or open another file. However, if you make a change to the file, it will remain open until you explicitly close it.
There is a lot more to Visual Studio Code, but this is all you need to know to get started. Have fun!