How to Customize the Ribbon in Microsoft Word
Customizing the Ribbon so that those commands you use most frequently appear on your home tab is a very useful way to set up Microsoft Word. Follow the steps below to personalize the Ribbon.
This feature works the same in all modern versions of Microsoft Word: 2010, 2013, and 2016.
- From the File menu, select Options.
- Select Customize Ribbon.
- Create a Custom Tab or Custom Group by selecting a tab on the right and then selecting New Tab or New Group.
- Note that if you create a new tab, a new group is automatically created as well. This is because commands must be added to groups, not tabs, so all tabs must have at least one group.
- Select the New Tab and then Rename to name the new tab.
- Select the New Group and then Rename to name the new group.
- To add a command to the new group, select the new group on the right, select a command on the left, and click Add.
Author: Dave Dunn
Dave Dunn joined Webucator as Chief Operating Officer in early 2009. He has served as a CFO and COO for numerous small and medium-sized companies, including Summit Software Company, Insight Research Group, Avalon Consulting, CampaignBase.com and HealthcareOne. He has expertise in business development, financial management, marketing and human resources and particularly enjoys working with rapidly growing companies.
Dave received his Bachelor of Arts from Hamilton College and his MBA from Syracuse University. He has served as Chairman of the Board of the Montessori School of Syracuse since 2001.