- Learn to get started using Hive.
Hive is de-facto standard the SQL interface into Big Data. Today, it offers ACID tables, storage requirements reduction by the factor of 2 with erasure coding, HBase integration with Phoenix, and much more.
However, in order to achieve efficiency, one must be familiar with the best practices of the HQL language, compare different tools for looking at your data, whether it be Hive, Phoenix HBase, or plan Excel.
This course will explain the capabilities of Hive, HQL dialects, and best practices.
- Why Hadoop?
- The motivation for Hadoop
- Use cases and case studies about Hadoop
- The Hadoop platform
- MapReduce, HDFS, YARN
- New in Hadoop 3
- Erasure Coding vs 3x replication
- Hive Basics
- Defining Hive Tables
- SQL Queries over Structured Data
- Filtering / Search
- Aggregations / Ordering
- Text Analytics (Semi Structured Data)
- New in Hive 3
- ACID tables
- Hive Query Language (HQL)
- How to run a good query?
- How to trouble shoot queries?
- HBase tables - design and use
- Phoenix driver for HBase tables
- Spark SQL
- The big picture
- How Hadoop fits into your architecture
- Hive vs HBase with Phoenix vs Excel
Each student will receive a comprehensive set of materials, including course notes and all the class examples.
Experience in the following is required for this Hadoop class:
- Exposure to SQL
- Ability to navigate the Linux command line.