Negotiation Skills Training
Course Length: 1 day
Delivery Methods: Available as private class only
Managers and other professionals negotiate with vendors on price, delivery dates, service levels, and a myriad of other topics. They also negotiate with their peers on everything from budget allocations to who gets the office space overlooking the ocean. As a result, negotiation skills are a key element of organizational success, department success and individual career enhancement.
This Negotiation Skills training class describes negotiation styles, keys to successful negotiation, how to deal with difficult negotiation tactics, and other related topics.
- Learn about the basics of negotiation including why people hate to do it.
- Learn how to overcome your dislike of negotiating.
- Learn about the negotiation process and important concepts.
- Learn how to prepare for negotiating and important negotiating strategies.
- Learn how to handle the challenges that come with negotiating.
- Initial Thoughts
- What Is Negotiation?
- We All Negotiate at Home and Work
- Why People Hate to Negotiate
- Overcoming Dislike of Negotiation
- Finding Your Own Style
- Important Concepts
- Negotiation Process
- Win-Win, Win-Lose, and Lose-Win
- Distributive vs. Integrative Negotiation
- Competitive vs. Cooperative Negotiation
- Needs vs. Wants
- The Flinch
- Value of Flexibility
- Power of the Parking Lot
- BATNA, WATNA, and ZOPA
- Negotiation Styles
- Know Your Style and Opponents Style
- Negotiation Preparations
- Value of Preparation
- Understand Want You're Negotiating
- Know Your Objectives
- Know Your Bottom Line
- Know Your Ability to Walk Away
- Rank List Your Priorities
- Know Your Potential Risks
- Learn Other Person's Needs and Wants
- Negotiating Strategies
- Compare Needs and Wants
- Look for Mutual Gain
- Invent Creative Options
- Negotiate Problem Not Person
- Trade Effectively
- Focus on Interests, Not Positions
- Use Objective Criteria
- Dealing with Difficult Tactics
- Pressure for Quick Decision
- Cries Poor
Each student will receive a comprehensive set of materials, including course notes and all the class examples.
Request a Private Class
- Private Class for your Team
- Online or On-location
- Expert Instructors