How to Install Northwind on SQL ServerSee SQL Server: Tips and Tricks for similar articles.
Northwind was originally created as a sample database for Microsoft Access. Microsoft also included it with SQL Server 2000. Although later versions of SQL Server did not include the Northwind database, you can easily install it.
To install the Northwind sample database on SQL Server:
- If you're taking a class with us, you will find a Northwind-SQLServer.sql file in your class files. It will be located either in the Webucator/ClassFiles or the Webucator/ClassFiles/Setup directory.
- Open Northwind-SQLServer.sql in SQL Server Management Studio.
- Press the F5 key to execute the script.
- Test by typing the following and the press F5:
SELECT * FROM Employees;
If the test is successful, you should see a listing of employees including a Nancy Davolio.
If you are not taking a SQL class with us, you can download and run SQL2000SampleDb.msi from Microsoft.
- How to Change a Column to Allow NULL in SQL Server
- How to Check Case-Sensitivity in SQL Server
- How to Install Northwind on SQL Server (this article)