Understanding How to Create a Successful and Diverse Team - Exercise
Understanding How to Create a Successful and Diverse Team
Duration: 10 to 15 minutes.
Answer the following questions and then discuss as a class.
- True or False: Management should tolerate individual differences so employees will see the benefit of diversity and acknowledge these differences.
- True or False: It is better to hire based purely on appropriate skills because it is easy to train someone to be open-minded and embrace diversity.
- Which of the following is NOT a suggested technique for successfully managing a diverse team?
- Recognize each of your employee's unique talents and abilities.
- Treat each of your employees fairly and equally.
- Be aware of the feelings and any tension within your team and intervene quickly.
- Require that each of your employees adapt to your meeting techniques and management styles.
- False. Management must celebrate individual differences, not just tolerate them.
- False. Finding people with the right attitude who are open-minded and represent different ways of thinking is the key. It is generally much easier to teach someone new skills than to change their attitude.
- D. is not a suggested technique. You should assess your meeting techniques and management styles to make sure they work for everyone involved and adapt them as needed.