Understanding Nonverbal Communication - Exercise
Understanding Nonverbal Communication
Duration: 10 to 15 minutes.
Answer the following questions and then discuss as a class.
- True or False: If you do not know what a particular nonverbal cue means it is best to ignore it and only listen to the verbal communication.
- If a person crosses his or her arms during a conversation what does it mean?
- He or she is frustrated.
- He or she is cold.
- He or she is interested.
- Any of the above.
- If someone gives you a thumbs up hand signal and smiles what does it probably mean?
- Good job.
- Come here.
- False. If you are unsure of the meaning of a nonverbal cue, ask and learn something new. Never assume or ignore something that clearly has a meaning.
- D. Any of these answers could be correct. Body language means nothing without knowing the context of the conversation and reading other nonverbal cues like facial expressions. There are no absolute answers with nonverbal communication, so try not to assume.
- The best answer is A. Good job. Since they are smiling they are probably not giving you an insult, but you never know.