Personal Application for Communicating Boundaries - Exercise
Personal Application for Communicating Boundaries
Duration: 10 minutes.
In this exercise, you will...
- Refer to the list of situations you created in the Exercise 25.
- Write a boundary for each, including:
- Your expectation.
- What the consequence will be if the boundary is respected.
- What the consequence will be if the boundary is not respected.
Recall that for this exercise you will use the items you listed in the last personal application to form your answer. Answers will vary. One possible answer as an example could be that my problem situation is that my colleague who answers the phones first does not use as professional and friendly of a tone as I'd like and she forwards calls to me that she could answer herself:
- My expectation is that the customer service rep who answers the phones first will use a more friendly and professional tone and that she will try harder to answer the easy questions some customers have rather than forwarding to me. Call that are forwarded to me should be ones that she can't answer..
- The consequence if this does improve and the boundary is respected will be that I will thank my colleague for making my job easier when customers are already pretty happy when they are forwarded to me and I should notice a decrease in calls coming to me that don't need to.
- The consequence if this does not improve will be that I will talk to our supervisor about my concerns and how it negatively impacts me and my performance. (For example, when calls are forwarded to me customers are sometimes annoyed because they were not treated well on first contact.)