Working with Files and Folders in Windows 7
Files in Windows 7 are represented by icons. For example, the following is an icon for a Microsoft Word document on Windows 7:
Folders are represented by folder icons:
Create New Files and Folders
To create a new folder:
- Navigate to the location where you want to place the new folder.
- Right-click and select New.
- Select Folder.
- The folder will be displayed, with the default name "New folder."
- To change the name, type the new name for the folder, and then press Enter.
Most of the time, you will want to use a specific program to create a new file. For example, if you want to create a new Word document, you would simply open Word and it would display a new, blank document. Once you created your new file, you need to save it.
To save a new file:
- Select the Save option.
- In the Save As dialog box, type a new file name for your file.
- Click Save.
Delete Files and Folders
To optimize space on your computer, it is a good practice to delete files and folders you no longer use. However, it is important to note that when you delete a folder, you delete everything that resides in that folder, as well. Therefore, it is essential to verify that you do indeed want to make your deletion.
To delete a file or folder:
- Select the file or folder icon.
- Press Delete.
- In the dialog box that appears, click Yes to confirm the deletion.