Creating a Blog Site
Duration: 15 to 25 minutes.
In this exercise, you will create a new site based on the Blog template.
- Create a new Blog site as a child site to root parent site.
- Click the Site Contents link in the Quick Launch menu.
- Scroll to the bottom of the site contents page and click the new subsite link.
- Select the Blog template and enter "<<your name goes here>> Blog" in the Title
field and "<<your name goes here>>blog" in the URL name field.
- Scroll down and change the Navigation Inheritance to Yes to use the top link bar of the parent and then click the Create button to complete the new blog sites creation process.
- Explore the layout and contents of the new Blog site.
- Take a few moments to read the text within the Home page of the new
- Click the Settings drop-down and click the Site Contents link from the menu.
- Note that the default content for a Blog is one library, Photos, and three lists,
Categories, Comments, and Posts.
- Click the Home link in the Quick Launch menu to navigate back to the Home page of the
- Modify the existing
Categories and create a new category.
- Click the ADD CATEGORY link on the Quick Launch menu.
- Type "IT" in the Title field of the Categories edit form.
- Click the Save button to save the change.
- Repeat the previous steps to create categories for "SharePoint" and "Humor".
- Your final list should look similar to the following image.
- Create a new blog entry in your blog site
- Click the Create a post link under the Blogs tools area.
- In the Posts - New Item form, enter "Import Spreadsheet Error" for the Title field.
- Click inside the Body field. Note the Posts - New Item form changes the toolbar to enable you to enter formatted text
as well as insert items such as images.
- Type the following text into the Body field, "Creating a list using the Import Spreadsheet template can generate the following error if the SharePoint site is not
in Internet Explorer's Trusted Sites or Intranet zones."
- Click the Insert tab in the Editing Tools toolbar.
- Click the Picture drop-down link on the Insert toolbar and choose From Computer.
- In the Select Picture dialog form, click the Browse button to open the Choose File to Upload dialog window.
- Navigate to the you downloaded the class files to and select the message-from-webpage.gif file. Click the Open
button to complete the file selection.
- Click the OK button to complete the image upload. Note that the file will be loaded to the Photos library by default.
- The Photos item editor form will open and provide you with optional information fields you can include with the image. Enter "Error Message" in the
Title field and click the Save button to save your changes to the image item.
- Highlight both IT and SharePoint in the Category list box and click the Add button. This will associate this
post with those categories.
- Click the Publish button to complete the creation of the new blog post.
Alternatively, the Save As Draft would have created a post that would not be visible to the public until it had been published.
- The Home page with the new blog entry should look similar to the following image.
- Click the Contoso Home Site in the Top Link Bar to navigate back to the parent site.