Creating and Working with Content Types - Exercise
Creating and Working with Content Types
Duration: 10 to 15 minutes.
In this exercise, you will learn to create Content Types and Site Columns. Additionally you will learn how to associate a document template with a content type based on
the Document parent content type.
- Create a new Content Type for the Contoso Home Site.
- Open your browser if it is not already open and navigate to your root team site.
- Click the Settings menu and select the Site Settings link.
- Click the Site content types link within the Web Designer Galleries group.
- Take a moment to read through the list of default content types. Note how they are grouped and there is a parent column that lists the parent content
type of each individual content type.
- Click the Create link at the top of the list of content types.
- In the New Site Content form, use the following information to complete the form.
The completed form should look similar to the following image.
||Type "Employee Reviews"
||Type "Contoso custom content type for employee reviews"
|Select parent content type from:
||Select Document Content Types
|Parent Content Type:
||Type "Contoso Content Types"
- Click the OK button to complete the new content type creation process.
- Add columns to the new Employee Reviews content type.
- Click the Add from existing site columns link below the Columns region on the Site Content Type Information page.
- In the Add Columns to Content Type form, select Core Contact and Calendar Columns in the Select columns from drop-down
box. From the Available columns list box, choose both Full Name and Job Title then click the Add button to add
them to the Columns to add list box.
- Click the OK button to complete adding the site columns to the Employee Reviews content type.
- Click the Add from new site column link below the Columns region on the Site Content Type Information page.
- On the New Site Column form, enter "Contoso Departments" in the Column Name field and choose Choice (menu to choose from)
in the The type of information in this column is selection field.
Note that this New Site Column form is the same form you get when you add a column directly to a list or library.
- Locate the Additional Column Settings region further down on the New Site Column form. Replace the text in the field labeled
Type each choice on a separate line with the following:
Click inside the Default value field and make sure "Sales" is set to the default value. Leave the rest of the settings set to the defaults.
- Click the OK button to save your changes and complete the creation of the new site column.
- Assign a document template to the new Employee Reviews content type.
- Click the Advanced settings link under the Settings region on the Employee Reviews content type information page.
- Click the Upload a new document template option on the Advanced Settings page and then click the Browse button
to find the file.
- Navigate to the folder you downloaded the class files to and select the
Employee Review.docx file. Click the Open button to complete the file selection.
- Click the OK button on the Advanced Settings page to save your changes to the Employee Reviews content type.