Create Custom Lists and Columns
Duration: 15 to 25 minutes.
In this exercise, you will learn to create a new list from the Custom List template. In addition, you will learn to modify column properties as well as add new custom columns.
- Create a new list in your Team Site using the Custom List template.
- Click the Settings menu and then choose the Add an app menu item.
- Select the Custom List template from the list of available templates.
- Enter "Favorite Cars" in the Name field and then click the Create button.
- Add custom columns to the new Favorite Cars list.
- Click the Favorite Cars list from the Quick Launch menu if it is not already selected.
- Click the new Item in the middle of the empty list main page. This will open a new list item.
- Do not enter anything at this time; just verify that the only field is the required Title field. Click the
Cancel button to close the dialog form without creating a new list item.
- Click the List tab to open the lists toolbar.
- Click the Create Column button in the Manage Views section of the toolbar.
Note that the image is only showing a portion of the list's toolbar due to space constraints. In addition, your web browser window's width
will affect the buttons displayed on the toolbar.
- Enter "Model" for the Column name field and leave the default Single line of text as the data type for the column.
Take a few moments to read through the additional column settings, but the default values are fine for this exercise.
- Click the OK button to create and save the changes to the new list column.
- Repeat the steps above to create two additional columns and use the following table for information about the new columns:
- Keep the default column settings for the new Top Speed and Price columns based on their data types. Take a moment to note
that the different data types have different additional settings. For example, the Currency data type has a currency format selection.
- Rename the existing Title column in the Favorite Cars list to Make.
- Verify that the newly created Favorite Cars list is selected in your site's Quick Launch menu. Select it if it is not.
- Click the List Settings button on the List tab within the Settings
group in the toolbar.
- Take a moment to read through the list settings page. This page offers links to various list administration task links grouped by category.
The group we are going to be working with is the Columns.
- Click the Title column link to bring up the column settings page. Note how using this page you can change various settings of the column based on
the data type of the column.
- To rename this column, type over the text in the Column name field with the text "Make".
- Click the OK button to save your changes and return to the list settings page.
- Verify that the old column Title has been renamed to Make in the column group.
- Click the Favorite Cars link in either the Quick Launch or the Site's Breadcrumbs to navigate back to the browse view
of the Favorite Cars list.
- Add some new Favorite Cars to the custom list.
- Click either the
new item link within the list or the New Item button on the Items tab toolbar
of the Favorite Cars list.
- The Favorite Cars new item dialog form will open with fields for the custom columns you added earlier.
- Enter the following values for new Favorite Car item and click the Save button to save the data back to the list.
- To add multiple cars to the new Favorite Cars list, you can use the edit link to enter items in a spreadsheet type of view. You can use the following table for data to input but feel free to
use your own "favorite cars" as well.
||Ultimate Aero TT
||S7 Twin Turbo
- Compare your list to the following image:It should look the same or similar depending on whether you used your own "favorite cars" or not. Note
the Price column is formatted as currency for you based on the data type you chose for that column.
- Click the Stop link to exit the editing view.