Team Site Navigation
Duration: 15 to 25 minutes.
In this exercise, you will learn to navigate a basic SharePoint 2013 Team Site.
- Navigate to your team site.
- Launch Internet Explorer.
- In the address field, enter the address: "http://<<insert your site here>>".
- The home page for your team site will load and look similar to the following:
- Navigate using the Top Link Bar.
- Verify that you are currently located on the home page of your Team Site, the Contoso Home Site link should be shaded blue in the Top Link Bar of the site.
- Click the link of a child site such as SubSite A located in the site's Top Link Bar.
- Verify that you are now located on the home page of the child site by checking the Title
displayed for the site.
It might be hard to tell that you are on a different site. Both sites' home pages and Quick Launch menus are
could be based on the same Team Site templates, and you have not made any customizations to either. The only visual differences at this point are the titles
such as SubSite A and Contoso Home Site in the screen captures, and in the example Sub Site A only has its title link in the Top Link Bar because it does not as of yet have any child sites. In a later part of this course, you will modify the content of pages such as the home page. You will also be adding content to the site that will automatically change the Quick Launch menu.
- Navigate back to the parent site.
- Use the Back button of your browser to navigate back to the parent site.
In a later part of this course, you will learn how to configure child sites to use the same Top Link Bar as their parent site as well as how to add custom links.
- Navigate using the Quick Launch menu.
- Select the Documents inside the Quick Launch menu located on the left side of the page.
- Navigate back to the home page of the site by clicking the Home link within the Quick Launch menu.
In later parts of this course, you will learn how to create lists and libraries as well as other items that will automatically add links to the Quick Launch menu. You will also explore how to customize the Quick Launch menu manually.
- Navigate using the Settings menu.
- Click the Settings menu located at the top right of your Team Site.
- Take a few moments to read through the list of links in the Settings menu. The items you see in the list reflect who you are logged into the site as. The list uses security trimming to show only items that you have permission to use.
In a later part of this course, you will learn how to assign permissions.