Managing Personal Sites
In addition to storing user in formation in the form of a profile SharePoint offers users their own personal SharePoint site collection. This site is like any other SharePoint site in that users can create lists and libraries and edit the home page.
The default content of a users personal site can be accesses through the two links Blog and Apps listed under their profiles
Quick Launch menu.
A users personal site includes a Documents library that can easily be accessed through the OneDrive link.
The following walk-through will show you how to edit your personal site and add documents and a blog post.
These same steps are performed as part of the exercise with this lesson
so unless you have a separate account you want to perform the walk-through steps on, you should wait to perform them in the exercise.
- Add a new file to your personal Documents library.
- Click the OneDrive link located under the checkered icon in the upper-left corner of any SharePoint page you are currently on.
- Click the Upload link at the top of the Documents library.
Note that there is a New link but it does the same thing as the Upload link unless you have Office Online Server installed and integrated with SharePoint. If you do have Office Online Server integrated than the New link would allow you to choose what type of new Office document you want to create.
- Browse and select the C:\ClassFiles\PersonalInfoDocument.docx Word file and click the Open button.
- Verify the PersonalInfoDocument is now displayed in the Documents library of your personal site.
Note the Shared with Everyone folder in the Documents library. Files uploaded to this folder will be shared with Everyone in your organization. The file you uploaded in the previous steps is only available to you.
- Create a personal blog post.
- Click the SP_Admin drop-down and then choose the About Me link to navigate back the users profile home page.
- Click the Blog link in the Quick Launch of your personal site.
- Click the Create a post link under the Blog Tools group located on the right side of
your blog's home page.
- Use the following information to fill in the new blog post.
Title: "Learning SharePoint"
Body: "SharePoint is full of features including personal sites."
Category: Select Opinions and click the Add> button.
- Click the Publish button to save the new blog post.