Duration: 15 to 25 minutes.
In this exercise, you will learn how to use Outlook with your SharePoint site.
- Create an alert for the Favorite Cars list.
This alert exercise will work only if your SharePoint server is configured with an email server it can deliver to and the account you are logged in with has a valid email address.
- Open your browser if it is not already open and navigate to your root team site.
- Click the Favorite Cars link in the Quick Launch menu to navigate to the list.
- Click the List tab to open the toolbar.
- Click the Alert Me drop-down button in the Share & Track region on the List Tools List
tab toolbar and select the Set alert on this list option.
The Alert Me button only displays if the Farm administrator has configured the server with an outgoing mail
- Leave all the default options in the Favorite Cars - New Alert dialog form but take a moment to read the options and their
descriptions. Click the OK button, once you are done scanning the options, to save the new alert.
- Add a new Favorite Cars item to the list to test the new alert.
- Click the
new item link at the top of the list.
- Enter the following values for new Favorite Car item and click on the Save button to save the data back to the list.
- Check for an alert in Microsoft Outlook 2013.
- Launch Microsoft Outlook 2013.
- You will eventually have two emails in your Inbox generated by the alert system. It could take up to 10 minutes for them to
appear due to a delay in the SharePoint service responsible for generating emails, even with the alert option set to Send notification
If the alert message has not arrived in your Inbox yet, you may wish to continue to the next step in this exercise and
check back later.
- Leave Microsoft Outlook open for the next step in this exercise.
- Subscribe to an RSS feed in the Favorite Cars list.
- Go back to your browser window with the Favorite Cars list All Items view showing.
- Click the RSS Feed button in the Share & Track region on the List Tools List
- Click the Subscribe to this feed on the Favorite Cars RSS feed page.
Allow in the Internet Explorer dialog asking if you want to allow this website to open a program on your computer.
- Click Yes in the Microsoft Outlook dialog asking if you want to "Add this RSS Feed to Outlook".
- Click the link at the top of the RSS feed page to navigate back to the SharePoint site.
- View the Favorite Cars RSS feed in Microsoft Outlook 2013.
- You will see an arrow next to the RSS Feeds link in the side bar menu. Click on the arrow to expand it and
Favorite Cars link within it.
- It might take a while before Outlook will automatically synchronize with the RSS feed. To force it to update, click on the Send/Receive
tab in Outlook and click the Update Folder link.
- Verify that your RSS Feed is now showing the latest changes to the Favorite Cars list. You can test this further by modifying or creating
a new item in the Favorite Cars list. If you do, follow the previous step to force Outlook to refresh the RSS feed folder. Leave Outlook open for the next step in this exercise.
- Connect the
Documents library to Outlook.
- Go back to your browser window and click the
library on the root site's Quick Launch
- Click the Connect to Outlook icon in the Connect & Export region on the Library tab toolbar.
Depending on the width of your browser screen, you may or may not see the label text "Connect to Outlook".
- In the Internet Explorer dialog window that asks you "Do you want to allow this website to open a program on your computer?", click
the Allow button.
- If you get the Internet Explorer Security dialog window warning you about "A website wants to open Web content using this program on your
computer", click the Allow button.
- In the Microsoft Outlook dialog window that asks you "Connect this SharePoint Document Library to Outlook?", click the Yes
- A new SharePoint Lists tree menu will be added to your Outlook side bar menu with the
added and opened. Outlook can now be used to view, create, and edit items in the
Documents library. Additionally, you can work offline
with this library through Outlook.