Formatting a Chart
After you insert a chart into your slide, you may want to customize its appearance.
When a chart is selected in your slide, numerous tools become available. These tools can be found on the Chart Tools Design and Chart Tools Format tabs.
The tools available on the Chart Tools Design tab affect the way chart data is presented.
Chart design tools are categorized in the following groups (these are in a different order in PowerPoint 2010):
Chart Layouts - Provides a gallery of chart layouts which can be applied to your chart.
Chart Styles - Provides a gallery of chart styles which can be applied to your chart.
Data - Work with the data a chart is based on.
Type - Change to a different chart style or save a chart as a template.
The tools available on the Chart Tools Format tab affect the visual aesthetics of the chart.
Chart formatting tools are categorized in the following groups:
Current Selection - Select specific areas of the chart for formatting.
Insert Shapes - Add shapes to your chart.
Shape Styles - Depending on the chart component currently selected, provides a gallery of shape styles which can be applied to the component. Other tools in the group allow you to format individual properties of the chart.
WordArt Styles - Provides a gallery of text formats which can be applied to selected text on your chart or to all text in a particular component.
Arrange - Manage the position and orientation of objects in a chart.
Size - Manage the height and width of the chart.
In PowerPoint 2010, there is a third CHART TOOLS tab that appears: the CHART TOOLS LAYOUT tab. Use these options to modify chart elements, styles, and filters.
Using the commands and tools from the Chart Tools Design and Chart Tools Format tabs, as well as the pop-up chart options, you can produce a chart that suits your presentation needs functionally and aesthetically.
Modifying Chart Type
Once inserted, you can easily change the type of your chart.
- With the chart selected, select the Chart Tools Design tab. From the Type group, select Change Chart Type.
- In the Change Chart Type dialog box, select an option under All Charts, and then further customize the chart with the options on top. To change the chart type, click OK.
Adding Legends to Charts
You can add a legend to a PowerPoint chart.
- With the chart selected, click the plus sign (+) icon, the Chart Elements option, to the right of the chart.
- Check the Legend check box to display the chart's legend.
Modifying Number of Rows and Columns
You can add rows or columns to a PowerPoint chart:
- Go to Chart Tools > Design > Edit Data > Edit Data. This will open Excel.
- Right-click in the table within Excel and click Insert. You will then have the option to insert a row or column.