Saving a Document
The first time you save a Microsoft PowerPoint presentation, you need to give it a name and location. To do this:
- From the FILE menu, select Save As. (In Word 2007, select the Microsoft Office button and then click Save As.)
- Now, select a location to save your document. (In Word 2007 and 2010, this step does not apply.)
- The Save As dialog box opens, in which you can see:
- The document location or where on your computer PowerPoint will save your presentation. You can choose a different location by navigating to the new location and selecting it.
- The file name. Note that this is highlighted because Microsoft PowerPoint expects you to provide your own name for the presentation. Simply begin typing to do so.
- The file type. Note that this defaults to "PowerPoint Presentation," which is the default file type for Microsoft PowerPoint 2013 presentations. When final, you can save your presentation as another type, such as a pdf, by selecting the file type from the Save as type drop-down list.
- After you provide this information, click Save to save the presentation.
Maintain Backward Compatibility
To maintain backward compatibility with previous versions of PowerPoint, select the Maintain compatibility with previous versions of PowerPoint check box. This will ensure that the 2013 document can be opened in earlier versions of PowerPoint.