Tabs, Groups, and Commands on the Ribbon
The main Outlook Ribbon you will use when working in Outlook is the Mail Ribbon, which contains tabs, groups, and commands related to sending, receiving, and managing your email.
Tabs on the Mail Ribbon
There are five main tabs on the Mail
Home. The Home tab contains commands for common tasks including:
- Sending and receiving messages.
- Deleting messages.
- Organizing messages using folders, rules, tags, and filters.
- Finding contacts.
Send/Receive. The Send/Receive includes commands for:
- Viewing the progress of sending and receiving folder items.
- Viewing the status of downloads.
- Managing issues related to your server.
- Working offline.
Folder tab includes commands for managing your email using folders, including:
- Creating folders.
- Renaming folders.
- Deleting folders.
View. The View tab includes commands for:
- Customizing the view of your Outlook interface.
- Organizing messages by conversation.
- Categorizing your email messages.
- Changing your Outlook layout.
Help. The Help tab includes commands for:
- Getting help.
- Contacting Microsoft Support.
- Suggesting a feature.
- Showing training options.
- Using support tools.
- Using diagnostic tools.
Groups on the Mail Ribbon
Related commands in Outlook are organized in groups on each tab.
The following table lists the groups found on each Mail Ribbon tab:
- Quick Steps
- Send & Receive
- Clean Up
- Current View
In some groups you will see a button in the lower right corner, next to the group name. This is the Dialog Box Launcher. Opening the group's dialog box will give you access to additional commands associated with that group:
In Outlook 2016 and 2019, the Ribbon contains the text "Tell me what you want to do..."
If you click this text, it becomes a text box where you can enter text to search on to quickly perform actions. Just clicking the box pops up some possible ideas.
For example, "Show calendar" brings up options related to viewing your Outlook calendar.
You can use the View tab in Outlook to configure Outlook's view to suit your needs.
- Use the Current View group to select a view option and reset the view.
- The options in the Messages group allow you to show conversations.
- In the Arrangement group, you can set how messages display, such as by date or by sender.
- Use the Layout group to configure how the various Outlook panes are displayed.
- Use the Window group to open a new window or open reminders in a separate window.
Commands on the Mail Ribbon
Commands are contained within groups on the Outlook Ribbons. For example, on the Mail Ribbon, on the Home tab, within the Respond group, you will find options to reply to your messages, including replying to the sender, replying to all, and forwarding a message.