Saving a Workbook
The first time you save a Microsoft Excel workbook, you need to give it a name and location. To do this:
- From the FILE menu, select Save As:
- Selecting Save As opens the Save As section (in Excel 2013), where you can choose the location to save your workbook. Then, a dialog box opens, in which you can see:
- The file name. Note that this is highlighted as Microsoft Excel expects you to choose your own name for the workbook. Simply begin typing to do so.
- The file type. Note that this defaults to "Excel Workbook", which is the default file type for Microsoft Excel 2013 workbooks. (.xlsx) When final, you can choose to save your workbook as another type, such as a pdf, simply by choosing "PDF (*.pdf)" here. If you want to maintain backward compatibility with previous versions of Excel, choose "Excel 97-2003 Workbook" here.
- After you have entered these fields, simply click Save to save the workbook.