Check for Understanding: Three Functions of Writing - Exercise
Check for Understanding: Three Functions of Writing
Duration: 5 to 10 minutes.
In this exercise, you will respond to the following questions about the three functions of business writing.
- Which of the following are functions of business writing?
- To entertain and solicit information.
- To inform, to influence, and to entertain.
- To solicit information, to influence, and to inform.
- Which function of writing will give the audience a reason to act?
- To inform.
- To influence.
- To entertain.
- Think about the following statement and write a couple sentences about why it is true: It is important to prepare before you begin to write.
- B. To inform, to influence, and to entertain.
- B. To influence.
- Your answer may vary from this one, but you should have touched on the importance of thinking through and perhaps even outlining what you plan to write before you begin.