Check for Understanding: Appropriate Electronic Communication Methods - Exercise
Check for Understanding: Appropriate Electronic Communication Methods
Duration: 15 to 20 minutes.
In this exercise, you will answer the following questions about appropriate electronic communication methods.
- Read the following scenario and answer the questions that follow. Scenario: A new software version was recently installed in the customer service area. It is supposed to make tracking customer complaints and their resolutions easier, but you have received several IMs stating that it is cumbersome, hard to understand, and not at all user-friendly. You know that the head office has stated that the software will be used and there is no room for debate on that issue. You also know that the training department is in the process of setting up training classes on the optimal use of the software, even though it is late.
- What electronic method will you use to communicate this information to your co-workers?
- Why did you choose that particular method?
- How would you respond to your co-workers who constantly IM you at work when you are trying to get something done and don't want to be interrupted?
- Ignore the messages.
- Answer briefly and cut off any chats.
- Use the IM tools to inform everyone you are unavailable.
- Tell everyone to quit annoying you.
- Which example below demonstrates the proper tone for an email or IM message?
- Huh? BTHOOM. I just don't get it.
- The new billing requirements are so stupid! Pretty soon we will have to bill the client every time we get a drink of water.
- The viability of the operation, compared to the veracity of the client, is presumed to be a presumptuous attempt to eliminate confusion.
- To get the new category to work, just enter MCS followed by the order number.
- The answers to questions are:
- The proper method of communication is email.
- The amount of detail that needs to be conveyed necessitates email rather than IM. The following presentation will go over more information about how to choose between email and IM methods of communicating at work.
- C. Use the IM tools to inform everyone you are unavailable
- D. To get the new category to work, just enter MCS followed by the order number.