New Documents and Word Templates
When creating a new Microsoft Word document, you can choose between creating a blank document or creating your document from an existing template.
Creating a New Blank Document
To create a new blank document:
- From the FILE menu, select New. (In Microsoft Office 2007, click the Microsoft Office button and select New.)
- Double-click Blank document.
Creating a New Document from a Template
A template is a predesigned Word document that you can then change to suit your needs. When you create a new document from a template, you are creating a copy of the original template.
To create a new document from a template:
- From the FILE menu, select New. In Microsoft Office 2007, click the Microsoft Office button and select New.
- Double-click one of the template categories.
- Select a template to view it.
- Click Create to open the template. In Microsoft Word 2007 or 2010, select Download to download and open the template:
Once you've downloaded a template, it is stored in the My Templates location on your computer.
Watch and follow along as your instructor shows you how to navigate the available templates.
Modifying a Template
You can modify a Word template:
- Select the FILE menu, and select New.
- Select a template from the list and click Create.
- Make the desired changes to the template.
- Save the template with a new name. It will by default be saved in the Templates folder.