Checking Spelling and Grammar
To check your document for spelling and grammar mistakes:
- From the Proofing group on the REVIEW tab, select Spelling & Grammar.
- Microsoft Word will look for spelling and grammar errors starting from the location of your cursor in the document.
- If Word finds a spelling error, a navigation pane similar to the below will appear: You have the following options:
Ignore. To leave the text as is in a specific instance, but be notified if Microsoft Word finds the same thing again, click Ignore.
Ignore All. To leave the text as is in this and future instances, click Ignore All.
Add. Adding a word to your dictionary will prevent Microsoft Word from ever noting this word as being misspelled again.
Change. To correct only this instance of the misspelling, click Change.
Change All. To correct all instances of the misspelling throughout the document, click Change All.
- If Word finds a grammar error, a dialog box similar to the below will appear:
Ignore Once. To leave the text as is in a specific instance, but be notified if Microsoft Word finds the same thing again, click Ignore.
Change. To accept Word's suggested correction, click Change.
- At the bottom of the pane, you will see an explanation of the grammar error that Word has detected.