You may want to add captions to your Word elements. You can add captions to tables, figures, and images, and then customize those captions.
To add a caption to an image:
- Right-click the image and select Insert Caption.
- In the Caption dialog box, type the caption in the Caption: text box.
- Select a Label. To exclude a label, select the Exclude label from caption checkbox.
- Select where to position the caption from the Position drop-down list. Click OK to insert the caption.
Changing Caption Formats
You can change caption formats when adding them in Word using the options in the Caption dialog box.
- To exclude the label in the caption, select the Exclude label from caption check box.
- To change position of the caption, select options in the Position drop-down list.
You can use cross-references to refer to figures in your documents, so that if the figure numbers change, this information will automatically update.
To create a cross-reference:
- Put your cursor where you want the cross-reference to appear.
- From the REFERENCES tab, in the Captions group, select Cross-reference.
- In the Cross-reference dialog box, select the reference type and other options.
- In the For which caption section, select the item you want to reference and select Insert.