Filtering Data in a List
Filtering data makes it easy to look at subsets of your data. To filter data in a list in Microsoft Excel:
- Select any cell in the list.
- On the DATA tab, in the Sort & Filter group, click the Filter command:
- Note that every heading now includes a drop-down arrow:
- Click any of the drop-down arrows to see a list of all individual items in that column. By default all are selected, but you can de-select all or any using the check boxes. Click OK to see only the selected records:
- After setting the filter in one column, you can further filter your data by setting the filter in another column.
- To remove your filters, simply click the Filter command again:
You can also use number filters, text filters, or color filters to filter based on specified criteria. To apply filters based on specific criteria:
- These filters are also available from the filter drop-downs, so on the DATA tab, in the Sort & Filter group, click the Filter command:
- Click any of the drop-down arrows and move your mouse over Number Filters, Text Filters, or Color Filters to see the list of options available.
- Select any of the options to open the Custom AutoFilter dialog box, in which you set your criteria. Then click OK: