Why Evaluate: The Importance of Evaluation
An important aspect of learning is assessing its success and effectiveness, both as the learning is taking place and after it is completed. There are a number of reasons for this.
- For evaluation that takes place during learning, facilitators can use this information to address specific areas in the learning.
- Clients want to know if learning objectives were achieved.
- The instructional designer will want to incorporate any information gained into a future iteration of the course or other courses.
- The ID will also need to know if any follow-up learning should be delivered.
- The learners' manager will want to know if her employees gained the necessary skills to improve their on-the-job performance.
- The organization will want to know if their training investment has paid off.
What Is the Purpose of Evaluating?
The purpose of evaluating is mainly to determine if the goals and objectives of the learning have been achieved.