Creating a Workbook
When you open Microsoft Excel, a workbook is automatically opened as well. As you can see in the screens hot below, the default workbook is named "Book1".
Cell A1 is automatically selected when Excel opens. To enter a number or text in cell A1, simply begin typing:
Saving a Workbook
The first time you save a Microsoft Excel workbook, you need to give it a name and location. To do this:
- From the File menu, select Save As:
- Selecting Save As opens up a dialog box in which you can see:
- The workbook location, or where on your computer Excel will save your workbook. You can select a new location by clicking on the arrows.
- The file name. Note that this is highlighted as Microsoft Excel expects you to choose your own name for the workbook. Simply begin typing to do so.
- The file type. Note that this defaults to "Excel Workbook (*.xlsx)", which is the default file type for Microsoft Excel 2010 workbooks. When final, you can choose to save your workbook as another type, such as a pdf, simply by choosing "PDF (*.pdf)" here.
- After you have entered these fields, simply click Save to save the workbook.