Understanding Cultural Differences - Exercise
Understanding Cultural Differences
Duration: 10 to 15 minutes.
Answer the following questions and then discuss as a class.
- In a situation where you are working with someone from another culture, what would you do if they used a hand signal which you found to be offensive?
- If you were managing a team with employees from different countries and different religious beliefs, how should you schedule vacation time?
- A culture that expects more indirect communication is what?
- High Context
- Low Context
- There are cultures that value multi-tasking abilities, and there are cultures that prefer to focus on doing one thing at a time without interruption. Which type would Americans typically fall under?
- Focused, one task at a time
- Ask the person who used the hand signal what they meant.
- Ask them about vacation/holiday time ahead of time so if there are conflicts they can decide what days off are most important.
- A. High Context
- B. Multi-Tasking