Understanding Stereotypes and Biases - Exercise
Understanding Stereotypes and Biases
Duration: 5 to 10 minutes.
Answer the following questions and then discuss as a class.
- True or False: Stereotypes are always negative.
- How are biases typically formed?
- From stereotypes.
- By getting to know an individual.
- From past experiences.
- By watching the media.
- This is a trick question. People can use stereotypes with positive intentions. For example, saying that Indians are intelligent and good at math. This is a positive statement but still can have negative effects. It is better to compliment individuals on their excellent math skills, and not state that they are smart simply because of their race or culture.
- C. From past experiences.