The best way to handle diversity discrimination is to prevent it from occurring in the first place. Education and proper anti-discrimination policies are important ways to support prevention.
- Promote tolerance and diversity awareness by showing employees the benefits of a diverse workplace.
- A diverse team offers more opinions and ideas that create more opportunities for success.
- People with different ways of thinking provide more solutions when problems arise.
- Diverse groups enhance creativity within the team and encourage innovation.
- A diverse team helps create a stronger, more intelligent team that learns from each other.
- Enforce a strict policy against discrimination.
- Make sure the policy clearly defines appropriate and inappropriate behavior and that employees clearly understand the policy.
- Make sure all employees know who to contact with questions or to file a complaint.
- Take appropriate action when a complaint is made.
- Educate employees on the effects of discrimination and harassment.
- Discrimination and harassment can have devastating effects on individuals and teams. Examples of this include low self-esteem, low productivity because of fear, etc.
- Individuals can be physically or psychologically abused.
- Discrimination and harassment can affect work performance or cause someone to resign.