Check for Understanding: Internal and External Customers - Exercise
Check for Understanding: Internal and External Customers
Duration: 5 to 10 minutes.
In this exercise, please respond to the following questions:
- Which of the following is NOT a method of providing good customer service to internal customers?
- Treating them with respect.
- Creating a culture that does not encourage internal customer service.
- Providing clear guidelines regarding roles and responsibilities.
- Thanking them.
- Consider the following scenario: Although salary and benefits at XYZ Corporation are excellent, employee turnover is quite high. A review of exit interviews conducted by the HR department showed that employees did not stay with the company because they felt intimidated and threatened by some of the managers.Think about the effect this kind of behavior will have on external customer service. Write down your thoughts.
- External customers can be defined as:
- Individuals and companies who purchase our products and services.
- Individuals and companies who purchase products and services from other companies as well as ours.
- Individuals and companies who have no use for our products and services.
- A and B.
- Consider the following scenario: A customer calls with a complaint and asks to speak to a manager. The manager tells the employee to tell the customer that he is not in and that the customer should call back next week.Think about the effect this kind of behavior can have on internal customer service and write down your thoughts.
- B. Creating a culture that does not encourage internal customer service.
- Answers will vary, but should include the fact that employees who work in a negative environment, in which they feel intimidated and threatened, are not likely to provide good customer service because they aren't likely to be loyal to or care about the company as a whole.
- D. A and B.
- Answers will vary, but should include employees wondering about other things management might be hiding or lying about. If the customers are being lied to or avoided, how does management treat the employees?