Check for Understanding: Defining Customer Service - Exercise
Check for Understanding: Defining Customer Service
Duration: 5 to 10 minutes.
In this exercise, please read the following scenario and then answer the following questions.
Martha was late arriving at work one morning and, when she arrived, she found a customer, Mr. Jones, waiting for her. Mr. Jones was obviously agitated about something. The following conversation took place:
Martha: Oh! Mr. Jones, I did not know you were coming in this morning.
Mr. Jones: Yes, I have been waiting for you for over ten minutes! Are you always this late for work?
Martha: That's really none of your concern, Mr. Jones. Now, what can I do for you?
- Was Martha's response to Mr. Jones' question appropriate?
- What could she have done better in order to provide good customer service to Mr. Jones?
- When providing customer service, it is always important to:
- Treat the customer as though he or she knows nothing about the company.
- Understand that the customer is always right, no matter what.
- Go the extra mile, providing unexpected service.
- Resolve issues with the customers who spend the most money first.
- No, Martha's behavior is not appropriate.
- Answers will vary, but should include something about Martha apologizing and moving on to resolve Mr. Jones' problem.
- C. Go the extra mile, providing unexpected customer service.