Creating an Outline
You can create an outline of a Word document and then work with the outline to create a master document and subdocuments.
To create an outline:
- Select the VIEW tab, and from the View group, select Outline.
- Use the Outline Tools group to set headings and promote and demote text.
Promoting Sections in an Outline
To promote a section in an outline:
- In Outline view, highlight the section you want to promote.
- In the Outline Tools group, select Promote.
Creating a Master Document
You can create a master document and then insert subdocuments in it in Outline view.
To create a master document:
- In Outline view, select Show Document from the Master Document group of the OUTLINING tab.
- Insert subdocuments into the master document.
Inserting Subdocuments into a Master Document
To insert subdocuments into a master document, from the OUTLINING tab, in the Master Document group, select Insert, and then locate and select documents to link.