Viewing Changes, Additions, and Comments
The Reviewing Pane
The reviewing pane shows all insertions, deletions, formatting changes and other changes, as well as all comments, in a separate window. You can move from one change to another in your document by selecting the change in the reviewing pane.
To show or hide the Reviewing pane:
- Click on the REVIEW tab and from the Tracking group, click Reviewing Pane:
- Click it a second time to hide (or show) it.
Choosing what Changes to Show
If a document is heavily marked up, it is often useful to focus exclusively on certain types of changes or markup. To choose what markups to show and to how you want to see them:
- Click on the REVIEW tab and from the Tracking group, click Show Markup:
- In the Show Markup drop-down list, select or deselect items by clicking on them:
The Show Markup command allows you to show or hide the following things:
- Insertions and Deletions
The Show Markup command also allows you to choose:
- Where to see markup: inline or in balloons.
- Whose comments to see. Select All Reviewers or only those reviewers whose markup you wish to review.
Viewing Different Versions
You can easily switch back and forth between the original and final versions of a document, both with or without markup showing. Specifically, you can display a document in the following ways:
Simple Markup. Cleaned up version of the document with changes indicated. To see the changes, click on a red change indicator line on the left (this is a new feature in Word 2013).
All Markup. The final document, with all proposed changes showing.
No Markup. The final document, without proposed changes showing.
Original. The original document, without proposed changes showing.
These options differ slightly in Word 2007 and 2010.
To change the way a document is displayed:
- Click on the REVIEW tab and from the Tracking group, click Simple Markup (the Display for Review command) (in Word 2007/2010, choose Final: Show Markup):
- From the Display for Review drop-down list, select one of the options: