Define an Information Policy for a Content Type
Define and Information Policy for a Content Type
Defining an Information Management Policy for a content type enables the policy to be applied to items based on the content type no matter what list or library they exist in.
The following walk-through will show you how to create a new content type and define an Information Management Policy for it.
The Information Management policy settings are not available with SharePoint Foundation.
- Open our browser and navigate to your team site.
- Create a new content type named "Policy Demo" based on the Document type.
- Click the Settings menu drop-down and choose the Site Settings option.
- Click the Site content types link under the Web Designer Galleries group.
- Click the Create link at the top of the Site Content Types gallery page.
- Type "Policy Demo" in the Name field.
- Select Document Content Types in the Select parent content type from drop-down field.
- Select Document in the Parent Content Type drop-down field.
- Click the OK button to complete creating the new content type.
- Define a Document Information Policy that removes old versions of documents one day after the document has been modified.
- Click the Information management policy settings link in the Settings area.
- Check the Enable Retention check box.
- Click the Add a retention stage... link under the Enable Retention check box.
- Select Modified + 1 days for the Time Period fields.
- Select Delete all previous versions in the Action drop-down field.
- Click the OK button to save the Stage properties.
- Click the OK button to save the policy setting to the content type.