Linking Documents Using Their Document ID
The main function of the Document ID service is to provide a hyperlink to the document that will work even if the document is moved to another library or even another site.
The Document ID service uses a redirect page, DocIdRedir.aspx, that takes the unique Document ID generated by the service as a parameter. The following is a screen capture of the fixed URL created by the Document ID service for the EvaluateSharePointServer2010-ITPro.docx document located in the
Documents library from the previous demonstration:
The URL can be seen by hovering over the Document ID property of the document.
The following walk-through will show you how to create a hyperlink on the Home
page of your team site to a document in the Shared Documents library. For the document's URL, we will use the Document ID service's path.
- Copy the Document ID link of the EvaluateSharePointServer2010-ITPro.docx document.
- Click the Shared Documents link in your site's Quick Launch menu.
- Click the ellipsis button to the right of the EvaluateSharePointServer2010-ITPro link than click the second ellipsis button on the balloon pop-up and choose the View Properties from the options menu.
- Right-click the Document ID property link and choose the Copy shortcut option.
- Create a hyperlink on the Home page of your site that uses the Document ID URL to the EvaluateSharePointServer2010-ITPro.docx document.
- Navigate back to the home page of your site.
- Click the Edit link at the top of the page to edit the page.
- Place our insertion point at the bottom of the main middle content area.
- Click the Link button drop-down in the
INSERT tab toolbar and choose the From Address option.
- Type "SharePoint 2010 ITPro Doc" in the Text to display field.
- Paste the copied URL form the Document ID property into the Address field.
- Click the OK button to save the hyperlink.
- Click the SAVE icon in the upper right of the page to save the changes.
- Click the link and verify it prompts you to open the EvaluateSharePointServer2010-ITPro.docx document.
- Cancel opening the document.