One of the ways to organize your messages in Outlook is to apply colors to message fonts; you first create color categories and then assign them to messages. You can choose from some default categories, such as unread mail, or set the formatting yourself.
To organize your messages by applying a colored font to unread messages in your Inbox:
- In your Inbox, from the Ribbon, select the View tab.
- In the Current View group, select View Settings.
- In the Advanced View Settings dialog box, select Conditional Formatting.
- In the Conditional Formatting dialog box, select Unread messages.
- Select Font.
- In the Font dialog box, select a color for the email font from the Color drop-down list.
- Click OK.
- In the Conditional Formatting dialog box, click OK.
- In the Advanced View Settings dialog box, click OK.
- Your Inbox will now display unread messages in the font color you selected, making them stand out.
The Clutter Feature
The Clutter feature allows you to move low-priority emails to a folder named Clutter, so you can easily view more important messages.
This feature analyzes your past behavior with your emails and moves messages that it deems lower priority to the folder. You can send emails to the Clutter folder by right-clicking the email and selecting Move > Move to Clutter.
You can use categories with messages as a way to organize them.
To apply categories:
- Select the message you want to categorize.
- From the Home tab of the Ribbon, in the Tags group, select Categorize.
- Select a category from the drop-down list.
- You have the option to rename the category.
- The message or other item will display the category information.
More Ways to Organize Your Messages
One way to organize messages is to mark them read or unread. To do this, right-click the message in your Inbox and select Mark as Unread (if it has been read) or Mark as Read (if it is unread).
To flag a message for follow-up, right-click it and select Follow Up and then select Flag Message.
You can ignore a message; that message and all future messages will be moved to the Trash folder.
To ignore a message, right-click it, select Ignore, and then click Ignore Conversation to confirm.