Password Protecting a Worksheet
Duration: 5 to 10 minutes.
In this exercise, you will password protect a worksheet to prevent people who do not know the password from editing it.
- Open Protecting Worksheets.xlsx from your Excel2013.3/Exercises folder.
- Protect the worksheet named "Loans" with the password "NoEdits". Allow users to:
- Select locked and unlocked cells.
- Format cells, rows, and columns.
- Use AutoFilter.
- Select any cell in the worksheet named "Loans".
- On the REVIEW tab, in the Changes group, click the Protect Sheet command:
- In the Allow all users of this worksheet to list, verify that Select locked cells and Select unlocked cells are both checked. Check the Format cells, Format columns, Format rows, and Use AutoFilter boxes. After making your selections, enter the password "NoEdits" and click OK:
- In the Confirm Password dialog box, reenter the password and click OK:
- Note that while you can't edit any of the data without unprotecting the sheet, you can change the formatting and use AutoFilter. Also note that the sheet named "Grades" is not protected, and thus is fully editable.