Ordered and Unordered Lists
There are three types of lists:
- Unordered Lists - used to create lists in which the order of the list items is not important (e.g., a grocery list or a list of people in a group).
- Ordered Lists - used to create lists in which the order is important (e.g., a recipe or setup instructions).
- Definition Lists - used to create lists containing terms and definitions (e.g, a dictionary or glossary).
Creating ordered and unordered lists in Dreamweaver is simple using the list icons in the Properties Inspector: To illustrate:
- Open ClassFiles/Dreamweaver/Exercises/Anchors-list.html in Dreamweaver.
- Place the cursor on the line with the three linked story titles.
- Click on the Unordered List icon in the Properties Inspector. Your page should appear as follows:
- Place the cursor at the end of "Pooh Goes Visiting" and delete the dividing bar:
- Press Enter:
- Place the cursor at the end of "A Mad Tea-Party," delete the dividing bar and press Enter:
- To add another bullet at the end of the list, place the cursor at the end of "The Naughty Boy" and press Enter and type a story name:
- You can add additional bullets by typing story names and pressing Enter just as you would in a typical Word processing tool.
You create ordered (or numbered) lists in the same way. In step 3 above, you would click the Ordered List icon instead of the Unordered List icon.
To create an ordered or unordered list from scratch, simply start a new paragraph and press the appropriate list icon on the Properties Inspector.
Unordered and ordered lists may be nested any number of levels deep. To illustrate:
- Open ClassFiles/Dreamweaver/Exercises/nested-list.html in Dreamweaver.
- The page is currently empty. Type "Grocery List" and make it a Heading 1.
- With the cursor below the heading, begin an unordered list by clicking on the Unordered List icon in the Properties Inspector.
- Type "Fruit" and press Enter:
- To create your nested list, press Tab (or click the Indent icon on the Properties Inspector) and type "Apples" Enter, "Pears" Enter, "Bananas" Enter:
- There are multiple ways to get back to the parent list:
- Press Enter again.
- Press Shift+Tab.
- Click the Indent icon on the Properties Inspector.
- Type "Meat" and press Enter:
- Continue with your list until it looks like this:
- To get out of a list, make sure the cursor is at the very end of the last item in the list and press Enter twice.
To convert an unordered list to an ordered list (or vice versa), click somewhere within the list (or sublist) and then click the appropriate list icon on the Properties Inspector.