If you don't already have something to use for Plain Text editing or Web authoring, please choose one of the options listed below.
The advantage of using a plain text editor while learning a new programming language is that you have to do everything yourself, and by doing so, you learn how to do it. Here are some options:
Windows Text Editors
Mac OS X Text Editors
- TextWrangler - Download (recommended)
- TextMate - Download
- SublimeText - Download
- TextEdit is fine for class and is usually included with Mac OS X.
- Please ensure you choose Format > Make Plain Text from the TextEdit toolbar.
The advantage of using an editor designed for web development is that you learn to use the editor as well as learning the language. When you do web development programming in the real world (i.e., outside of a classroom), you will most likely use an editor designed for web development. Here are some options:
Windows HTML Editors
- Adobe Dreamweaver - Download (recommended for PHP)
- HTML Kit - Download
- CoffeeCup HTML Editor - Download