Seven Time Management Tips for Sales Reps
Time management is a skill that can be developed as long as you pay attention to goals, schedules, and overall mission statements. Following are seven tips designed to help you stay on track.
- Tip One: Keep Track. Write down everything you do for one or two days. Include breaks, travel time, phone/text calls, etc. This will give you a good idea of where time can be better utilized. Use this to help plan your schedule for the future.
- Tip Two: Know Your Priorities. Start by understanding exactly what your job is supposed to be. Determine the purpose for the task and how that purpose fits your job description.
- Tip Three: Make Time to Plan. Include in your plan a time frame for planning. A good plan is one that is planned carefully.
- Tip Four: One Task at a Time. It is a lot easier to complete a task before starting another one. Whenever possible, finish the task rather than moving between partially completed tasks. You will be more efficient and the work will be more accurate.
- Tip Five: Determine Goals. Understand what you want to achieve with each task, meeting, etc. If you don’t meet the goal, you can evaluate what happened so the next time you can accomplish what you set out to.
- Tip Six: Manage Distractions. Spend time working on the tasks that will move you toward your goals. Many tasks can be left until later. Figure out which ones these are and set them aside. Don’t distract yourself with the unimportant details.
- Tip Seven: Schedule Time for Admin. These are the tasks that need to be done, like paperwork, but can be distracting. Set aside a specific time block every day or week to take care of the administrative tasks and do them only during those set-aside blocks of time.