How to Write Checks and Enter Bills in QuickBooks
QuickBooks offers two ways to manage your bills and bill payments: Write Checks and Enter Bills. Write Checks is the quickest way to record payments. It should be used when no bill is received or to pay bills as soon as you receive them. Enter Bills is the recommended way to enter bills in QuickBooks. It should be used for purchases that you receive and pay at a later time. You should never use Write Checks to pay a bill that was entered using Enter Bills. Any bills recorded using Enter Bills must be paid using Pay Bills.This feature works the same in versions 2011–2016 of QuickBooks.
To pay a bill using Write Checks:
- On the Home page, in the Banking panel, click Write Checks.
- In the Write Checks dialog box, from the Bank Account drop-down list, select the account to write the check on.
- From the Pay to the Order of drop-down list on the check, select the vendor to pay.
- In the amount field, type the amount of the check.
- Click Save & Close.
To pay a bill using Enter Bills:
- Record the bill using Enter Bills. This increases accounts payable.
- When the bill comes due, pay it using Pay Bills. This decreases accounts payable.