How to Use the Ruler in Microsoft Word
Use the Ruler in Microsoft Word to see and control page margins, paragraph indents, and more.
This feature works the same in all modern versions of Microsoft Word: 2010, 2013, and 2016.
To view the Ruler, check it in the Show group (the Show/Hide group in Microsoft Word 2007) on the View tab.
Note the following items on the Ruler:
- First Line Indent. Used to indent the first line of a paragraph.
- Hanging Indent. Used to indent the second and subsequent lines of a paragraph.
- Left Indent. Sets the left margin for the paragraph, as opposed to for the whole document.
- Right Indent. Sets the right margin for the paragraph, as opposed to for the whole document.
- Tab Control. Used to add various tabs to the Ruler for indenting, centering, and otherwise consistently managing text within a paragraph or document.
Author: Dave Dunn
Dave Dunn joined Webucator as Chief Operating Officer in early 2009. He has served as a CFO and COO for numerous small and medium-sized companies, including Summit Software Company, Insight Research Group, Avalon Consulting, CampaignBase.com and HealthcareOne. He has expertise in business development, financial management, marketing and human resources and particularly enjoys working with rapidly growing companies.
Dave received his Bachelor of Arts from Hamilton College and his MBA from Syracuse University. He has served as Chairman of the Board of the Montessori School of Syracuse since 2001.