How to Use the Ruler in Microsoft Word
Use the Ruler in Microsoft Word to see and control page margins, paragraph indents, and more.
This feature works the same in all modern versions of Microsoft Word: 2010, 2013, and 2016.
To view the Ruler, check it in the Show group (the Show/Hide group in Microsoft Word 2007) on the View tab.
Note the following items on the Ruler:
- First Line Indent. Used to indent the first line of a paragraph.
- Hanging Indent. Used to indent the second and subsequent lines of a paragraph.
- Left Indent. Sets the left margin for the paragraph, as opposed to for the whole document.
- Right Indent. Sets the right margin for the paragraph, as opposed to for the whole document.
- Tab Control. Used to add various tabs to the Ruler for indenting, centering, and otherwise consistently managing text within a paragraph or document.