Use the Ruler in Microsoft Word to see and control page margins, paragraph indents, and more.
This feature works the same in all modern versions of Microsoft Word: 2010, 2013, and 2016.
To view the Ruler, check it in the Show group (the Show/Hide group in Microsoft Word 2007) on the View tab.
Note the following items on the Ruler:
- First Line Indent. Used to indent the first line of a paragraph.
- Hanging Indent. Used to indent the second and subsequent lines of a paragraph.
- Left Indent. Sets the left margin for the paragraph, as opposed to for the whole document.
- Right Indent. Sets the right margin for the paragraph, as opposed to for the whole document.
- Tab Control. Used to add various tabs to the Ruler for indenting, centering, and otherwise consistently managing text within a paragraph or document.