How to Track Vehicle Mileage in QuickBooks
The following 11 steps show how to track vehicle mileage in QuickBooks.This feature works the same in versions 2011–2016 of QuickBooks.
- From the menu, select Company > Enter Vehicle Mileage. The Enter Vehicle Mileage dialog box opens.
- In the Vehicle field, select the vehicle driven. If the vehicle does not exist, you can Quick Add it.
- In the Trip Start Date and Trip End Date fields, type or look up the dates the trip began and ended.
- In the Odometer Start and Odometer End fields, type the vehicle mileage when the trip began and the mileage when the trip ended. (These fields can be bypassed.)
- If you entered starting and ending odometer readings, the Total Miles field shows the calculated mileage for the trip. Otherwise, enter the total miles for the trip in this field.
- If the mileage is billable to a customer, mark the Billable checkbox.
- In the Customer:Job field, select the customer to bill the mileage to. For non-billable mileage tracked for reporting purposes, you can create a placeholder customer such as "Company Mileage" or "Sales Team".
- In the Item field, select the service item or "other charge" item related to the mileage being recorded. The following image shows an example of how you might set up mileage as an item.
- If you have classes enabled, the Class field is visible. Select the class associated with the mileage record.
- In the Notes field, type a memo about the mileage and the vehicle use during this trip.
- Click Save & Close.