Operating System Requirements
You can use any modern operating system in this class. If you have any doubts about your operating system, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Version of Oracle Database
You need to have full administrative access to Oracle 10g, 11g, or 12c.
If you do not yet have Oracle installed, you can use Oracle 11g Express Edition, which you can download here. Be sure to download the correct setup file for your operating system.
You will need to register for a free account to gain access to the download.
Run through the installer accepting all the defaults. Set your password to "system" (all lowercase without the quotes).
- This class requires the use of the Oracle supplied HR demo schema, with the permissions and objects in the state in which Oracle created them. The HR schema is created by default during an install but is not always unlocked. Please unlock the schema, assigning a password. Please make sure the student has the password.
- If you will be using a work laptop at home, then install Oracle at home. If your IT department is installing it at work, make sure they disconnect from both the internet and the intranet before launching the install. The safest way to do this is to remove the ethernet connection from your laptop and turn off your wireless connection.
- This class requires the use of serveroutput and the Oracle supplied package dbms_output. SQL Developer needs to have serveroutput enabled. By default everyone has permission to use this package and by default SQL Developer may enable serveroutput. Please verify the permission and enablement. (This will be covered in class)
Oracle SQL Developer
- Download the version of Oracle SQL Developer that corresponds to your operating system.
- If you are on Windows 64-bit be sure to choose the "Windows 64-bit with JDK 8 included" option.
- Create a new sqldeveloper folder in C:\Oracle\ and extract the sqldeveloper.zip archive to the new sqldeveloper folder. This will place a new sqldeveloper.exe executable in the folder.
- Double-click on sqldeveloper.exe executable to start SQL Developer.
Download and Install Class Files
- Download the class files.
- After downloading the class files, create a directory on your hard drive named Webucator that can be found easily.
- On Windows it is recommended the new folder have a path of C:\Webucator.
- On Mac OS X a good location for the new folder may be in your Documents directory.
- Extract the files to the folder you just created.
Unlocking the HR Account
- In SQL Developer, log in using this connection
- Connection name: system
- Username: system
- Password: system (This should be the password you created when you installed Oracle)
- Open the HR_Unlock_Account.sql file from your class files.
- Click on the second green play button (F5) to execute the SQL query.
- To continue setup, click on the green + under the Connections tab, and add the criteria below:
- Connection Name: hr
- Username: hr
- Password: hr
- Click Connect. A worksheet should open up on a tab that's labeled "hr".
- Now that you're connected to HR, you're ready to test.
- Enter the following query in the worksheet:
select * from regions;
- Click the "green arrow" to execute your code.
- If 4 rows of 2 columns are returns by the query then you are all set.