How to Set Up for Introduction to Python Training
Our Introduction to Python course uses IDLE, a simple Python IDE/editor that comes bundled with Python. All you need for class is to have Python 3.3 or later installed and to download the class files.
Operating System Requirements
PC: Windows 10 or later or Mac: OS X Mountain Lion (version 10.8) or later
Install Python 3.x
Option 1: Install Anaconda.
If you plan to take our Advanced Python course as well, you should install Anaconda, a free Python distribution that includes many commonly used Python packages.
- Go to the Anaconda download page.
- Where it says "Jump to" at the top, choose your operating system.
- Under "Python 3.x" click on "Windows 64-bit Graphical Installer" or "Windows 32-bit Graphical Installer", depending on what operating system you have.
- Download Python.
- Click on the .exe file you just downloaded and follow the installation instructions.
Option 2: Install Python only
- Go to the Python download page.
- The web page should identify your operating system automatically. If it does not, select your operating system.
- Click the latest "Download Python 3.x" link to download the Python installer.
- Run the installer. Be sure to check the Add Python to Path check box.
Test your installation by opening a command prompt and typing "python". You should get a Python prompt, like this: