How to Record a Sales Tax Payment in QuickBooks
After you review the sales tax payable, you can use the Pay Sales Tax window to write a check to the tax agency (do not use the Write Checks window). To record a sales tax payment, follow these eight steps.This feature works the same in versions 2011–2016 of QuickBooks.
- On the Home page, click Manage Sales Tax.
- In the Manage Sales Tax window, click Pay Sales Tax. The Pay Sales Tax dialog box opens.
- From the Pay From Account drop-down list, select the bank account to deduct the sales tax payment from.
- In the Check Date field, type or select the date to print on the check.
- In the Show sales tax due through field, type or select the period end date for the tax period.
- In the Starting Check No. field, accept the default check number or assign a check number as appropriate.
- In the table, click on the sales tax items to be paid. If you need to make a payment for less than the full amount, edit the value(s) in the Amt. Paid column.
- Review the information, then click OK.
QuickBooks automatically writes checks to the tax agencies selected and records the transactions in the bank account selected. You can print the checks at this time or at a later time. Sales tax totals and amounts due are automatically updated to show that the tax agencies have been paid for the selected tax period.